Sunday, March 25, 2012

Curriculum Materials and Resources

        The textbook for the class I am teaching is Prentice Hall Algebra I. It is a standard mathematics textbook with a few worked example problems followed by about 100 practice problems, a huge difference from the CPM textbook that I got used to at McNary.
        The math department at North Albany Middle school has many games, manipulatives, and activities. Unfortunately, at this point in time, they are sitting unused in a room adjacent to the library collecting dust. Instead, the teachers I have observed use their SmartBoards for every lesson, most taking full advantage of the wide variety of resources available on there.
     
In terms of virtual resources, I have been using:
Pearson Success Net- an excellent resource that comes with the Algebra I textbook
Kuta software- which provides some free worksheets for a variety of algebra topics without requiring you to buy the program
www.quia.com- a website with hundreds of interactive math games and activities
www.mathopenref.com- a website with manipulative graphics that shed light on many geometric and trigonometric functions.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment